Sunday, December 30, 2007

A Craving for the Past


A friend of mine from high school used to have her mom make this salad for us whenever we'd go on a trip or when we'd have a sleep over. I haven't had it since her wedding several years ago and it recently popped into my head. I had a general idea what was in it but wanted to make sure I got that taste like hers used to have. So I did a quick search on all recipes to see if I could find something to point me in the right direction. This is the recipe I found as my guide. This works well as a stand alone lunch or a side for dinner. Here is my adaptation.

Spaghetti Salad

Thin spaghetti noodles (measure according to how much you want to make)
1 medium tomato
1/2 green bell pepper
1/4 yellow onion
12-15 slices of small pepperoni (cut into strips)
Couple handfuls of shredded cheese (I used pre-shredded Mexican cheese but grated parm. would work well too)
Your favorite Italian Dressing
Italian seasoning
Salt and Pepper

Cook noodles until desired softness. Drain and rinse in cold water.

In large bowl mix noodles, chopped bell pepper, tomato, onion, pepperoni, and cheese.

Add dressing and seasoning to taste.



I'm really bad at measuring the correct amount of pasta. So of course I had tons of leftovers. You may need to add a little more dressing just to moisten the salad a bit more since the pasta does eventually absorb it all. It's still as good as leftovers as when I first made it.

No comments: