Friday, January 25, 2008

New Year's Snacks


I decided that I didn't want to cook a meal on New Years Eve. So I opted to do a whole bunch of snackie foods. I had been craving stuffed mushrooms and had never made them before. I found this simple enough recipe to point me in the right direction. They're definitely not low calorie but I'm sure if i substituted a few things, I could make them that way. I give these two thumbs up.

Stuffed Mushrooms

24 large fresh mushrooms, stems removed
1 (6 ounce) package chicken flavored dry stuffing mix
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter (plus what you need for the stuffing)
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder to taste
crushed red pepper to taste
parmigiana cheese

Arrange mushroom caps on a medium baking sheet, bottoms up. Chop and reserve mushroom stems.

Prepare chicken flavored dry stuffing mix according to package directions.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Mix in garlic and mushroom stems. cook until tender.

In a medium bowl, mix together butter mixture, prepared dry stuffing mix, and cream cheese. Liberally stuff mushrooms with the mixture. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper.

Bake uncovered in the preheated oven 10 to 12 minutes, or until stuffing is lightly browned.

No comments: